Saturday, March 19, 2016

Playing with new Fibre ...

My lovely friend Laura recently went on a visit to Winghams on a Fibre Sampling Mission and brought me back some of thier Ile de France Fibre. The sheep this wool comes from was originally developed from crossing Leicester with Rambouillet Merino, so I was quite excited to get it, as I love the handle of Rambouillet. 



And at £1.35 per 100g, it's quite a bargain!


Things have been a bit bonkers round here because of birthdays, plus the weather has been rubbish, so it took me a few days to get around to dyeing it up!


But it was worth the wait, as I think it's taken the colour beautifully... I am really pleased!

I've split the colours out for test spinning... so I'll have one ply of the blues/greens, another of orange/yellow/lime and then I'll stash dive to choose a third solid ply. 

It's spinning up really well too, very bouncy, no slippiness at all, so I think it's a fibre suitable for all ability levels.

It was dry enough today for me to take a sample of it to my local Guild of Spinners, Weavers and Dyers meeting, and it got quite a response from all that saw it, which is always a good thing :)

We had a 'Spinning Wheel Speed Dating' event at guild today, a few members brought more unique/less popular wheels for others to try.  I got to try and get a Frank Herring Saxony to work, but he was having none of it... little monkey! Great fun though !




I have a 40g dyed sample of the Ile de France to give away, lucky you :)
Just leave me a comment and you'll go into a hat to win the fibre sample and free postage off your next order from my etsy shop !

Please be sure to let me know how to contact you... Rav/IG username etc

23 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

Beautiful colourway:) I am just about to get a wheel.....bounce bounce
ravelry name Dawnmc71

7:20 PM  
Blogger hethuk said...

Lovely, the colourway will make a brilliant colourful yarn. Good to see a different fibre base as well. I have recently taken up weaving and plan to mainly use handspun. Thank you for sharing. Rav id hethuk

7:27 PM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

I was so impressed with this fibre and the colour saturation is amazing. I can't wait to see what your test spin looks like when it's done. Stitched-Together on Rav - but you knew that anyway ;-)

7:34 PM  
Blogger Sarah Gail Designs said...

I love it when a bargain fibre turns out to be a real winner! My Rav name is CraftyCst73 :)

7:38 PM  
Blogger LaalBear said...

I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow toooo :-) That looks lush young lady .

7:43 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Sorry, had to remove my comment as it had a mis-type. I am very new to spinning and am in the process of choosing a wheel. I do have a drop spindle to practice on. Your fibre is beautiful and I shall look forward to seeing it spun.

7:56 PM  
Blogger russandkate said...

Gawjus, I think I might need some of that for my next entrelac shawl. Glad it's perked you up a bit x

8:05 PM  
Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Yes please :-) been spinning 500g of single colour wool a rainbow would be very much appreciated :-)

8:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful colours! I would love to try this fibre as it sounds a perfect fibre for a relative newbie!
BlueSkyButterfly on ravelry

8:26 PM  
Blogger Heavenly Anarchist said...

That is looking beautiful as always:)

8:44 PM  
Blogger Linda Jane said...

What a gorgeous roll of fibre! Not a breed I have tried yet so very interested in your comments. Cellodancer on ravelry

11:23 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

I have tried this fibre before but it was a pain to spin, although i think it was the dyers as it felt like it had been partially felted or at the least very very compressed -

although reading your post I need to try it again! I love the colours and cannot wait to see your sample spun up!

I can see a new fibre order for my near future!

KTKnitsToo on ravelry

5:28 AM  
Blogger rsr78 said...

Love your rainbows. How interesting to try a new fibre.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the colours you've achieved - I'm very much into the 'bright and beautiful'. Just dyed some milk protein fibre after spinning and got a fabulous bright effect. Rav - WoollySusan

9:12 AM  
Blogger Jane p said...

Ooohhhh looks gorgeous x

10:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've never tried Rambouillet but I always love trying new fibres! I do love your colors - those socks I just knitted up with your yarn are glorious! ~legovial

11:30 AM  
Blogger Shirley said...

Love the way you dye the fibre! Lovely colours.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh My Gorgeous!
Entering the giveway before checking out your shop.
Songdeva on Rav!

6:58 PM  
Blogger Momo said...

Looks like a lovely fibre base to spin, and your colourways are gorgeous! I always love the blue colourways.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

me likie :P

6:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

me likie :P

6:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oooh, pretty! I just conquered some Cheviot, so I think I can handle that. And rainbows--so loverly! I'm soxoncircs on Rav!

3:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home