Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Colour is COMING !


I dyed this yarn up in November last year, and cast it on to make a 'West Hills' as sanity knitting over Christmas.  Green is my favourite colour (of course) and garter stitch is very soothing. Also, the simple repetitions in the pattern were what I needed.
I took a photo, whilst on holiday last year in Cornwall, of some seaweed I saw on the beach. The way you construct the colour spots reminded me of it... so I tried to mimic the textures... as well as trying to create a general reptilian feel to it :)



All in all, it was a really fun knit... with just enough brain usage to keep me interested :)
This yarn is just up my street when it comes to dyeing. It's a 75/25 Sock weight Merino~silk mix, spun in the same way as my Flump sock, so a high twist 2ply. There's just enough silk in there to help with drape, and just enough merino to allow for 'memory', so it won't stretch itself out into oblivion.
Stretch is great when you've made a scarf (like me) or a shawl, but if you want to make socks, or a hat, you need a little memory :)

The stitch definition is divine...


It dyes beautifully too, again the mix allows for the powdery colour you get with Flump, but with a little shine too, from the silk...

Now the weather 'seems' to be improving a little, I am really looking forward to getting the dyebaths out and having a mad colour day, as I have a few new albums to listen to.
Plus, I think I've been woefully neglecting my lovely knitters by only dyeing fibres!

So... watch this space.

Colour is COMING *GRiNS*


2 Comments:

Blogger allthatkatyknit said...

Yes this knitter will be eagerly awaiting the results! More yarn for us knitters!! :)

3:55 PM  
Blogger BrownBerry said...

Also watching! I love how this project and the yarn have a story and an interesting orgin, not to mention the very well suited outcome.

1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home