Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Just Sayin' ....

So, the 30 days are up, and the grim realisation has *officially* hit.
People are not being paid, and unless they get themselves in line pretty quick, they probably won't :(
The creditor list is as long as my arm, and your arm...and a few other peoples arms too.
Thing is, everyone knew it would happen...I certainly did, it's one of the reasons I had to sadly pull out as a vendor, but it all still went ahead, regardless.
I am reallyREALLY proud of my friends (who were tutors) who went to Stirling, knowing it was gonna be an epic FAIL financially, as they went not just for themselves, but for the KnitCampers.
KnitCamp Tutor WIN...no?
So, there are hundreds of people, now globally scattered, who gave their time (as lovely tutors) and their money (as lovely KnitCampers) and are now left feeling cheated and betrayed.
And there is nothing they can do about it, 'cept wait and hope.
I know a lot of my Indie colleagues are worried about the impact it will have on on all our businesses and reputations globally.
I am too... I just hope we're not all tarred with the same brush as British Yarns Ltd...
*sighs*
Thing is, I don't know if many of you know this, but I was there at the inaugural meeting to organise the very first Ravelry Day, in Coventry, 2009. I have a gift (or a curse) in that I can pretty much work people out from the off. After the meeting I said there was no way I could help organise "the vision" as it needed more than just the 3 people who were in that Museum Cafe in Coventry for it to succeed. But, it went ahead, and was an organisational nightmare, for just about everyone involved, and people came away not being paid...not on the immense scale of KnitCamp, but still...
And it happened a second time...???
Ugh...
Anyway, I shall get to the point, as I haven't said anything so far that hasn't already been said.
I have a really bad feeling that this is not the end, and I have to stress that this is my own personal opinion, so please take it as that?
I really hope that as well as trying to sort this impossible mess out, the Husbeast is also looking to his family, and keeping a close eye on the well being of them all.

They have truly lovely children, polite and beautifully mannered, and I think they have both suffered throughout all this, how could they not have? Not just as a result of the recent troubles, but last years also.

Stress has a really odd way of manifesting itself, especially if there is already an existing imbalance ... I am just worried :(

Anyway.....how boring am I?
Yup...that was me jumping on the KnitCamp bandwagon, sorry there is no new gossip or anything, but as I think you all know, it is not for me to say, and it's all pretty much out there now anyway.

To be completely honest, and this how I really feel... money troubles aside...don't you think we should all move on a bit?? I feel like it's stolen enough mojo from everyone.

We need to move forward... make it better, rise above the bad feeling?

Yeah, lets do that...be proactive :)

Just sayin'
xXx

5 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

I don't feel that all UK indie's will be tarred with the same brush here, small consolation thought that may be. There has been enough information come out about these events came to pass, that it is plainly obvious to anyone who cares to look, that there were a great number of people who TRIED to do the right thing, TRIED to help, and simply were unable to.
Loves to you, and your friends. And best of luck for an onwards and upwards trend - once some momentum starts up, it'll happen.

1:51 AM  
Blogger Clair Coult said...

I think there's only one person in this who is going to get tarred and that is Jo.

You know I had my reservations about Rav Day '09 and I was amazed that it actually happened at all. I too hope we can move forward from this and learn a valuable lesson that you can't make an interational event happen just because you want it to.

I actually think in some bizarre way it's stregthened the UK knitting community. knit Camp happened not because of the organisers but because of the spirit of the tutors, vendors and knitters. We are unstoppable! LOL!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

Great post Sarah and no ALL other indies,yarn people tutors etc are not tarred with the same brush. In fact people are much more behind the open, honest caring knitting/spinning community than ever before.
If we is moving on can we haz pictures of your pretty yarn? Pretty please:))

9:38 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

Yep, everything you said! I said this at Knit Nation, the people I feel really sorry for are their children.
Don't get me wrong, I feel awful for everyone who has lost money from it but they are adults. I just hope there is a good support system for the kids :(

9:48 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Hi Sarah: commenting as one of the people who signed up for Knit Camp unaware of what had gone on at Coventry.

The week was made for those of us who went by the tutors, other knitters, the volunteers and the traders, all of whom have been shafted to a greater or lesser extent by this fiasco.

We all know where blame lies; and I really don't think the indie sector in the UK will be affected as a whole. Our US visitors also know exactly where to point the finger. I do think it'll be more difficult for organisers to put ambitious events together, though, because of the shambles which happened here.

And echoing your best wishes for the family.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home