Saturday, April 22, 2006

My Grandma



Well, we are back from our trip up North. I am feeling heavy hearted at our huge loss, but also hopeful of a better relationship with my folks. We got along really well, and I felt especially close to my Mum, something I haven't felt for a long time.
We left the children with Phil's parents, after much discussion. It really wasn't the right place or time for them to be there, as we all needed to concentrate on saying goodbye to my Grandma and being there for each other.
It was a lovely service, well as lovely as funerals can be....The minister knew my Grandma very well, as he used to hold services in the home where she lived. He comforted us with his personal memories, how she'd always sing the 23rd Psalm, whether it was going to be sung or not, and how she always had a smile and a cuddle for his wife. I managed to read the poem my Mum asked me to read "Footprints in the Sand" by Mary Stevenson. As we went in, and after the first hymn, I really didn't think I'd be able to manage it, but I asked my Grandma for the strength to be able to read it....
So, the end of an era. She had a major brain hemorrhage when I was 8....I am now 34, so my parents have spent the last 26 years caring for her either full or part time. She came to live with us when my Grandad died, as she was unable to look after herself, and the last 10 years of her life were spent in a care home, as she fell and broke her hip, and couldn't get up stairs anymore. She was a huge part of my Mum's life especially, and she will be sorely missed :(
God Bless you Grandma, I will think about you every day, as I do my Grandad and Granny. I know that wherever you are, when ever I need you.....you will be there.

3 Comments:

Blogger Wye Sue said...

Well done for doing the reading - something I could never do.
Thanks for such a lovely post, God Bless Grannys and Grandpas

10:50 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

((((Sarah)))) Sorry to hear about your Granny but really well done at doing the reading. I don't think I would be able to do that.
Michael's Granny died a couple of months ago and we left J and L with my parents too. I'm hoping that his family will be closer now. Here's to new beginnings even in sad times?
Nic
xx

9:23 PM  
Blogger Katidids said...

Sarah, So sorry to hear of your loss. Thank you for sharing with us,
Look in the Mirror luv, her heart shines thru your eyes. Shes more a part of you than I think you know. God Bless Katidids

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home